Slave to the Nap

Friday, September 22, 2006

Suddenly Wonderful

TGIF! Taking the day off today and I've opened my first beer of the day - 3:30 pm. Nothing better than that.

I had a phone interview today with a Chicago tech firm for a marketing position. For those podcasters out there, the company name rhymes with "BeedFurner." If you can't figure that out, then I'm sorry, you're no podcaster. Drop off your iRiver at the door and get out. As usual, I am overly optimistic about my chances. Danger, Will Robinson! I can say objectively that I think I made my case as persuasively as I expected, but I really want this job and at the moment I am way too worked up about it to focus on anything else. Danger!

The job would involve a move and, while I can shrug and say I'm comfortable with that, a little part of me is not. I mean, I've been moving across the country since I was five. Logistically, moving two states away doesn't bother me. But I'd have to give up a lot of myself if I left Lincoln. Sad to say but this old college town has its hooks in me and isn't going to let go that easily. I like having an office in a funky old house that's 6 blocks away from my apartment. I enjoy the fact that my personal office has been compared to a small conference room. And I especially like the fact that I don't have to drive 30 miles just to buy groceries. In short, I am comfortable in my gilded cage.

Maybe I'm thinking too far ahead. There is a very real possibility that I'll screw everything up and all this talk about moving and change is wishful thinking. But today was a good day, and I don't want to give that wonderful feeling up just yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home